For the love of men and music

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Jay Rock

I missed Jay-Jay Johanson’s latest offering Long Term Physical Effects Are Not Yet Known on it’s release last year – I was hoping for the more of the nocturnal electropop of Rush.

Sadly, the album sees him returning to the trip hop feel of his earlier albums. Jazz elements and a mournful piano have taken center stage on several songs, emphasizing the black-and-white, pared down atmosphere of mournful pondering.

Whist all very nice, the album doesn’t capture me in the same way as it’s predecessor which was one of my favourite albums to cycle round town on a winter’s night.

The standout track for me from LTPEANYK is Rocks in Pockets which hints to the sort of stuff he has done and that I loved.

MP3: Jay-Jay Johanson – Rocks in Pockets (expired)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kostya said...

...and it's as if Slavo... - sorry - Eurovision had never happened, eh?

May 13, 2007 3:41 pm

 
Blogger Andrew said...

The Physical Effects was the first material I had heard by JJJ and I love it.

A friend sent me a compilation of earlier works, which is very different but still wonderful.

'Tell The Girls', 'On The Radio', 'Last Of The Boys', and 'Jay Jay Johanson' are all great tracks too.

'Rocks In Pockets' is my favourite song from this particular album though. Well chosen.

May 13, 2007 10:26 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home