For the love of men and music

Monday, April 09, 2007

Oh Yeah

Frank Farian has a lot to answer for in the world of pop; the man who brought us the sublime Boney M also brought us the farce of Milli Vanilli and the tragedy that was No Mercy. I recently discovered an album by one of his first projects; Gilla (the stage name of an Austrian singer (Gisela Wuchinger).

Her debut album Bend Me, Shape Me hints at the sound that would become instantly recognisable as as the Boney M sound of euro disco – while the album is pretty much middle of the road disco; one of the tracks Johnny has oddly become stuck on my playlist this week – probably because it’s like a pastiche of about 3 other disco songs.

P.S. if you think you recognise the male vocal from somewhere – Frank Farian also sang the male vocals on most of the Boney M tracks – Bobby Farrell lip synched for the performances.

MP3: Gilla – Johnny

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Austrian! Hurrah. Just when I was about to despair of Austrian music (my boyfriend is Austrian). The only other decent song I've found was a yodel cover of Puppet On A String.

April 10, 2007 5:19 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely forgot about her, but seeing the album cover I remember my brother used to have this album when he went through his disco-phase. Needless to say I ended up being the one playing his records most of the time. God....Gilla! She even scored some hits here in Holland. 'Gentlemen callers not allowed' being one of them. Great title!

May 06, 2007 1:54 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home