For the love of men and music

Friday, September 08, 2006

Ready To Be Happy

I hadn’t actually listened to a Lloyd Cole album prior to getting hold of a copy of Antidepressant, so, I didn’t really have a frame of reference (above and over the Camera Obscura line) or an expectation of what it would sound like.


My initial impressions are very positive; I can see why folks like Xolondon get so excited about his voice; there’s something warm, comforting and very familar about his voice. At times reminding me of Roddy Frame, David Gray without the nasalness or a less strident Morrissey (I realise Xo’s probably spitting his coffee out as we speak).

Musically, I’m told from the accompanying blurb, that the album is definitely a little bit perkier than the last few records with some of the songs are a bit more friendly in terms of potential radio play. Whilst I’m not convinced that he’s going to get much radio play, the album does warrant listening to. Even at his jauntiest, there is a quiteness, and indeed a timelessness in the tracks that makes the album addictive listening.


Clearly an intelligent wordsmith, LC covers a whole host of topics in his songs from the a look back at youthful rebellion, adults fantasising and american road trips.

Not sure how representative this album is of Lloyd’s work, but it has certainly urged me to investigate his discography. A classy, adult pop album.

Antidepressant sees its UK release on the 26th Sept.

MP3: Lloyd Cole - The Young Idealists (Expired)
MP3: LLoyd Cole – Woman In A Bar (Expired)

buy: Lloyd Cole - Antidepressant

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

...and since this is Homo Eclectic, let's put it out there:

Lloyd is looking HOT. Totally rocking the salt & pepper!

September 08, 2006 7:26 pm

 
Blogger xolondon said...

Did you notice he pronounced ScarJo's name as Yohannson on one of those tracks!? Maybe it was on purpose. He also does what I assume is a Brit thing and pronounces protagonist with a soft g.

The songs sound much jauniter than the last record, it's true. That one was a toughie.

Look for an email from me about this CD momentarily!

September 09, 2006 5:07 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home