For the love of men and music

Sunday, August 19, 2007

D.I.S.C.O.


I was this close to posting about the original movie Disco Dancer and the song Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja which M.I.A. has reclaimed in her truest fashion, but as is often the case, I was pipped to the post by the boyz at Club Contact.

A classic bollywood film, not just for its’ soundtrack but for the terribly choreography and terrible dialogue – the film is firmly embedded in my psyche (mainly because I was forced to perform the title track as a youngster in front of all the ‘aunties’ at some wedding. Even in my tragedies, disco plays a role). (Interestingly enough, as quite a few bloggers have pointed out, the film was huge in the Soviet Union). I really struggled to choose a clip to share (youtube is full of them) from the film, so I encourage you all to take 30 mins out of your life to go and enjoy the delights of the film).



The soundtrack to Disco Dancer was composed by Bappi Lahiri who, perhaps single handedly is responsible for bringing 80s eurodisco to indian cinema (and for stealing melodies outright from other artists – Jimmy is based upon the 80s hit You’re Ok by Ottawan, Auv Auva borrows from The Bugles ) – a trend that stayed around for a decade when the rest of the world had claimed disco had died.

MP3: M.I.A. – Jimmy (expired)
MP3: Ottawan – You’re OK (expired)

Disco Dancer OST

MP3: Vijay Benedict – I Am A Disco Dancer (expired)
MP3: Parvati Khan – Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja (expired)
MP3: Usha Uthup, Basavalingiah Hiremath – Auva Auva: Koi Yahan Nache (expired)
MP3: Basavalingiah Hiremath – Yaad Aa Raha Hai (expired)
MP3: Nandu Bhende – Krishna Dharti Pe Aaja Tu (expired)
MP3: Kishore Kumar – Ae Oh Aa Zara Mudke (expired)
MP3: Suresh Wadkar, Usha Mangeshkar – Goron Ki Na Kalon Ki (expired)
MP3: Suresh Wadkar, Usha Mangeshkar – Goron Ki Na Kalon Ki (part 2) (expired)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this!

Some of the links seem to be broken though -- I especially want to hear "Auva Auva," but it won't work...

August 20, 2007 3:35 pm

 
Blogger homoeclectic said...

works for me...

August 20, 2007 4:08 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That one doesn't work for me, either. Fileden gets confused and cuts the filenames off before the commas for 3, 7 and 8. The others are great, though!

August 21, 2007 1:18 am

 
Blogger homoeclectic said...

Updated the links

August 21, 2007 7:29 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it !!!
karla

September 10, 2007 7:31 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link for "I am a Disco Dancer" didn't work! Please update, please. It's really hard to find this song...

November 18, 2007 11:04 am

 
Blogger Ben St. John said...

Hey there,

Dig the blog. Quick question. Do you know who did the original disco version of Krishna Dharti Pe Aaja Tu? I found "Jesus" by Cliff Richards, but I can't find the disco version. Any ideas?

December 10, 2007 8:55 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get such a high quality encoding?

Can the actual cd be bought anywhere?

January 11, 2008 5:50 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bandwidth exceeded" --Fileden sucks royally, my friend. You need a server you can count on; check out something like box.net. Very nice, and quick.

January 20, 2008 5:25 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An english song will be played while the hero is introduced in the movie. I like that song very much. Does anybody know what that song is?

September 20, 2008 10:26 am

 
Blogger viJe said...

your ans is here
http://www.4shared.com/file/30074814/f2526a31/Billbox_Group_Jesus.html

September 01, 2009 5:39 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home