For the love of men and music

Monday, July 16, 2007

Shot Of Brandi

One of the standout tracks from the soundtrack of Grey’s Anatomy for me has to be The Story by Brandi Carlile if only for the opening lines; “All of these lines across my face, tell you the story of who I am” – the track is taken from Brandi superb sophmore offering, also called The Story. With a voice that reminds me at times of Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin and Jeff Buckley; Brandi is a seriously talented young woman.

The Story (the album), mixes folk, country and pop to create an album that smacks of authenticity – party down to Brandi’s voice which has the capacity to sound sweet and innocent at one point and then stricken with grief and intense emotion the next. Lyrically, the album is full of poetic lines such as "I started losing sleep and gaining weight, and wishing I was ten again, so I could be your friend again”, that make me smile inspite of the rather depressing content.

If you’re looking for an album that’s comforting as a glass of wine on a winter’s evening, you could do worse than checking The Story out. Whilst not as strong as The Story, Brandi’s self titled debut album is also worth investigating.

MP3: Brandi Carlile – The Story (expired)
MP3: Brandi Carlile – Turpentine (expired)
MP3: Brandi Carlile – What Can I Say (from self titled debut) (expired)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home