For the love of men and music

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Maybe I'm Getting Old

Ok. This is distressing – all three of my most anticipated tracks of the month have all made me go ‘Erm?’ and not necessarily in a good way. I’ve already mentioned that I didn’t get ‘I Don’t Feel Like Dancing’ – I have tried giving it a go, but I still end up in the same place -it’s fun, but it ain’t no classic.

The next track that I searched high and low for was ‘When You Were Young’ by The Killers – hoping for something anthemic in the vein of the their debut album or perhaps a change of direction – instead it feel like Killers-by-numbers or Meatloaf meets Bruce Springsteen – an album track perhaps, but this is no way to kick off an album.

Lastly, Robbie William’s much hyped move from ‘rock to electronica’ (according to the Sunday Times) has left me confused. It starts off a bit like Jacques Your Body (Les Rythmes Digitales) and then goes into an odd 80s rap with electro squelches and a minimal drum machine backing – the oddest thing about the song for me is the lack of humour or self-pity that is characteristic of a lead RW track.

I’m torn about this track – part of thinks it’s utter shite, but then in the usual RW way, it kinda niggles under the skin and sort of stays there. What the track needs is a really good remix to give it that dirty 80s electro-funk feel it’s kinda of aiming for.

The one thing I have to say though, is kudos to RW for trying different things – although I’m not sure EMI is looking for experimentalism as opposed to a chance in hell to recoup their original squillion pound investment. (For all your RW updates take a trip to A Risk Each Day) – he’s still a handsome fella tho.

I think I may go into hiding till the hyperbole dies down.

MP3: Robbie Williams – Rudebox (Expired)

2 Comments:

Blogger katie w. said...

Thanks for linking to my blog! :) What you wrote perfectly rounds up all news related to RWs' new track! ... and you know, I feel the same way about 'Rudebox'.... in a strange way it is lacking those "woo-is-me" humour. May I link to your blog and your mp3 as well?

July 26, 2006 12:51 pm

 
Blogger The Richard said...

This, Justin Timberlake's 'SexyBack', The Similou... is this a electronic musical moment happening before our very eyes? God, I hope so.

Love the blog, thanks.

July 26, 2006 1:51 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home